Thursday, February 5, 2009

Toronto New Landmark - Canada's National Ballet School


I think it would be interesting to look at our new heritage. Believe or not, I think there is some good ideas out there that are working out just beautifully!

My first example is the National Ballet School, on Jarvis Street. Not only the married old buildings with new ones, but they also included interesting details - such as the music notes in the large windows OR, if you looked closer to the motif of the 2 top condo towers, you noticed that they are in fact keyboard, like a piano.

I think this is a good example of a project that include many type of buildings for many type of uses, but still keeping it pleasing as an urban ensemble.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I live right beside these buildings, and I am a BIG fan of the marriage between the old and the new. The architect/firm has won several awards for this project which includes the Radio City condos. The Toronto Stars architectural critic Christopher Hume, whom I also admire, is also a fan of these buildings. I think more architects/developers in Toronto should look at this accomplishment as inspiration, and a great way to preserve history, but moving towards the future. Bravo, I say. Good choice Eric!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually those "music notes" are in fact dance notation symbols from James Kudelka's 'Nutcracker', notated by Peter Ottmann in Benesh Movement Notation. Fun fact! www.benesh.org / thechoreographerstrust.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete